Senior Data Engineer
Geoblink is a VC-backed tech startup that revolutionizes the way businesses think about – and act upon – location intelligence. We’re on a path towards hyper growth. We’re looking for world-class talent to fuel our ambitious international expansion plans. Someone who can help us “figure things out” and do them at the same time. We can offer a unique opportunity to be part of an amazing team. We’re a smart, fun, and hard-working bunch, and we’re super proud to have attracted top-notch talent from places like the MIT, CERN or EA Games.
At Geoblink we use some of the latest technologies to find solutions to some very hard problems We leverage GIS technologies and Big Data to create a beautiful map-based user interface that provides lots of statistics and a rich user experience. We have fun solving interesting challenges! Our systems are built using an SOA approach that allows us to perform multiple deployments per day. We <3 monitoring, pull requests, continuous deployment and automated testing. The trunk of our stack is Node.js, Angular and PostgreSQL but our architecture is language-agnostic. We move fast but put a lot of thought into the design of our architecture so that it’s simple and scalable. We write clean, modular code to produce great software that solves the needs of our clients. If you want to know more about the technologies we use or projects we work on take a look at our Tech blog.
Geoblink is looking for a Senior Data Engineer passionate about databases, Big Data and ETLs. Data is at the core of Geoblink’s DNA, and part of every single challenge we face when building new functionalities. You would be the point of reference of the team regarding how data and databases are architectured, structured and integrated with the rest of Geoblink’s systems.
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science or related degree or experience.
- >5 or more years of experience as data engineer, including hands-on experience with a wide variety of databases of all different kinds. You can name at least 10 different non relational databases and know in which case you would use which one.
- Hands on experience designing architectures that take into account databases, data transfer and data processing systems.
- Experience on data pipelines and ETL data processes.
- Strong software development fundamentals like data structures, algorithms, problem solving or system architecture.
- Great coding skills, high standards for good quality code that is elegant, well structured and easy to understand.
- Ability to craft simple and elegant solutions to complex problems.
- Able to explain what you did during the weekend in English.
- Any published open source code is a plus.
- Experience with Postgres and its extensions is a big plus.
- Extra kudos if you have experience with systems that handle huge volumes of data like Spark, geolocated data or on-premises integrations.
- A curious person, love learning and learn quickly
- Energetic, positive, proactive and collaborative
- Passionate about what you do, you care deeply about the things you build
- Don’t mind working in a very busy startup because you are learning a ton of things, are having fun while working with smart people in an non-ego environment and are building something that has a big impact
- Feel comfortable leading data-related projects, working side by side with other engineers and data scientists.
- Can explain what Big Data is in a sentence without using any buzzwords.
- Constantly reading about new trends to see what’s going on out there and how you can incorporate new technologies into your current project when there are good reasons for it
- Design, configure and maintain some of the most complex data systems we use at Geoblink, including relational, non-relational, NoSQL, in-memory, persisting, distributed and parallel processing databases and systems, following architectural best practices to create services that are secure, decoupled, scalable and performant
- Create processes to maintain such systems and allow the developers to perform all required actions
- Build data pipelines to automate the ETL processes of many of the sources we combine at Geoblink
- Work closely with the rest of the team including Data Scientists and Back End engineers to understand the needs and find optimal solutions
- Constantly review and update existing systems to find better solutions or technologies to improve existing systems and make them more flexible, scalable or performant
- Get involved in DevOps and Infrastructure tasks including infrastructure configuration and data systems administrations
- Coach and mentor other team members to create a culture that fosters collaboration and personal growth
- Work in “One of the 50 most promising startups of the world” By Bloomberg
- Flexible work hours in a focused but casual environment
- Learning from and working with talented people
- Great team atmosphere
- Vibrant, fun, and international environment
- Many perks, like table football or team events
If you feel that you would fit right into our working atmosphere and you are willing to face the challenges we propose, THIS IS YOUR TEAM! We’re looking forward to meeting you!
Thank you! We will be in touch soon!